Dressing Your Man (If He Can’t Dress Himself)
Let’s face it; some guys just don’t know how to dress. Some guys have a slight clue but still wear a few no-nos. And then there are the guys that “WOW” us every day. Having a well-dressed man doesn’t require all that much. Here are some simple tips that will help clean out the closet and replace those unwanted items, with threads that will impress.
THINGS MEN SHOULD NEVER WEAR
- Light Blue Denim – It’s time to get rid of the old, boot cut, light blue jeans that your dad wore. I don’t even think real cowboys wear light blue anymore.
- Capri Pants – Simply put, commit to shorts or pants. That is all.
- Skinny Jeans – They just weren’t meant for men and they are one step away from Jeggings, which, incidentally, should also never be worn by men.
- Jorts – Jean shorts haven’t looked good on a man in 20 years. I am not even sure they looked good back then. We just didn’t know better.
- T-shirts – Don’t wear your old faded t-shirts that are from activities going back to college.
- Hawaiian Shirts – They are too boxy and there’s too much going on with all that color and pattern. Why would you want to wear a fabric that’s also been made into a muumuu? (Sorry, Mrs. Roper.)
- Khaki Pants or Chinos – I know someone will disagree with me, but there are so many other options for trousers that aren’t so dated or boring.
- Socks and Sandals – Terrible. Just terrible. Do I really have to explain why?
- White socks – Unless you are wearing them for working out, and if you are they better be ankle length, there is no place for white socks in any wardrobe.
- Scuffed and Unpolished Dress Shoes – Make the extra effort and get your dress shoes shined. You think people don’t notice your shoes? Think again.
TOP 10 THINGS FOR A MAN’S WARDROBE
- Bite the bullet and buy a good Dark Gray or Charcoal Suit. Spend the extra money on a well tailored suit in a cut that is classic but works for your build.
- Invest in a good Navy Blazer. It is such a versatile piece and can dramatically change your look. Wear it with trousers or jeans; it looks great dressed up or down.
- A crisp White Dress Shirt is an absolute must. You can wear it with a classic suit or blazer and you can dress it down with jeans. No matter what you wear it with, you’ll look sexy.
- Think twice about throwing on your old t-shirts every weekend. Get a Casual Weekend Oxford to wear with shorts or jeans. Solid colors or patterns are great and work well with anything.
- Cashmere Sweaters are a perfect layering piece that go with just about everything. Wear it over dress shirts, oxfords or t-shirts. Select a basic color in either light or dark tones that will coordinate with the rest of your wardrobe.
- Replace your bad jeans with one pair of Dark Wash Denim. Just like women, make sure you choose the cut that is best for your body.
- Buy one really good Brown Belt and/or one really good Black Belt. Just make sure it matches your shoes. If it were up to me every man would have one of each. It’s an important accessory on a man and can make you look like you thought about getting dressed today.
- Slim Dress Shoes with a rounded toe are an absolute necessity. I prefer a dark brown basic shoe, but if you can swing it, get black too.
- A Classic Tie can be a statement piece as well. Red is a color that works for any occasion. Depending on your own personal style think “presidential” or make a statement with a fun pattern.
- Make sure you have a “Grown Up” Watch. Select a style that fits your personality. A large face sport watch may be perfect for some guys, while a more classic leather band or bracelet watch may work for others.
I hope I see you soon and can’t help but say WOW!